Tuesday 9 October 2012

Rustification!

I have to say, I love the challenge over at Simon Says Stamp and Show, and every now and then, I try to join in with one of their challenges to make myself have a go at something different.  Their theme this week is Rustification! and you should see the DT work...OMW, there are some fabulous pieces!  The last time I played along, I was inspired by the work of the lovely Candy C and she went and did it again with her amazing book of spells...I was in love with it when I saw the front on the Simon Says blog, but after visiting her blog and seeing the inside, I HAD to go and play!  What I have created is nowhere near as expert as Candy's, but the main thing is, I LOVED making it!  I turned a piece of plain leather embossed grey cardstock from this...
...to this...
...oh, I had such fun with this!  I was quite limited to the products I could use, as I don't have paints, alcohol inks, or the likes, so had to rely on my old faithful Distress Inks and some embossing powders!
 ...To start with, I sponged the gravestones with Tuxedo Black Memento then inked the edges with Walnut Stain DI and overstamped with a My Mind's Eye texture stamp and Walnut Stain DI.  I found this cute Halloween poem online and printed off in Chiller font then mounted onto slate coloured cardstock...
...I used the bat digistamp from my A Year in Cards disc and printed it onto cream parchment card then inked a misty sky with Weathered Wood and Walnut Stain DI - I highlighted the moon and details with a white gel pen (not sure if this shows very well!) and wrote the RIP by hand.  And then for the rustification!  ( I just love that word!) I printed off a large bat and cut 4 MFT photo corners in black and stamped with a My Mind's Eye texture stamp, then embossed with copper EP, I restamped with Versamark, embossed with Mica Boss then rubbed over some dark green chalk to give an aged look.  I used the same technique on the hinges on the opposite page...
...The spider started off life as a wooden ladybug but got attacked by a Black Promarker and some copper wire!  The pumkpin is one from the Scarecrow set of A Year in Cards and I just cut out a face and attached some bright orange card behind. (You can see a close up of my rustification on the photo corner and hinge)  I did so enjoy making this (despite the fact that I have 3 card orders to make!) and hope that I've inspired you to join in with a challenge that you wouldn't normally do!  Thanks for dropping by and have a great day!  Lisa x
I'm entering this card into the following challenges :
Rustification
Let's see those shapes!
Distressing

8 comments:

Jeannette said...

Wooaahh,this ists a wonderful rusty card,the spiderweb and the spider are stunning,i loved your work soo much.

Hugs Jeannette

Candy C said...

Hey Lisa! Thanks so much for the shout out and your very kind endorsement of my spooky book of spells. I so much appreciate your comments left on my blog and this very nice link. Your card is AWESOME! I love it! What a dramatic transformation of the plain grey cardstock! Love your "metallic" die cuts. You've really achieved a wonderful rusted patina finish! Great job! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

That jack-o-lantern has wonderful dimension and I'm LOVING the sponged gravestone - the texture is just right!! : )

Thanks for sharing your creativity at the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!
-Sarah

For More Opportunities:
*Follow Simon Says Stamp on Twitter
*Like Simon Says Stamp on Facebook
*Subscribe to Simon Says Stamp on YouTube
*Follow Simon Says Stamp on Pinterest
*Sign up for our Newsletter

Cards By MI said...

So creative and such stunning project of yours. Fantastic! Thanks for playing with us over at the Paper Shelter this week.
Love n hugs
Marie

Jane said...

Wow what an amazing piece...I love the spider! Great work,
Jane x

coops said...

wow this is fantastic lisa.really love the design and fab spooky image and verse ;D

xx coops xx

Tracey said...

WOW oh WOW!!! How fabulous is this!!! You did such an amazing job with your limited supplies...atrue artist for sure! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show :)

mixamatoasties said...

Stunning!

Thanks for joining in at Totally Papercrafts this week.

Susan x